How Do I Care For My Teeth As An Adult?
Manhattan Cosmetic Dentist | Upper East Side Dental Office
Keeping healthy teeth as an adult is a simple but often overlooked process. Without proper oral hygiene, teeth can develop cavities and gums can become diseased and problematic. Maintaining a simple cleaning regimen can go long ways towards keeping a bright and healthy smile. Consider these simple steps:
- Watch what you eat. Sticky starchy foods and sugary treats can create deposits on your teeth that produce destructive acids over time. The resulting plaque can eat away at your enamel and create cavities, so limiting the cause of these plaques is the first step.
- Flossing is an overlooked, but important, part of maintaining your teeth. Flossing daily removes plaque that has formed before it has a chance to harden into tartar.
- Brush at least twice a day with fluoride toothpaste. Brushing physically removes plaque from your teeth and fluoride strengthens your enamel against the corrosive effects of acids throughout the day.
- Most importantly, visit your dentist regularly. Not only will this allow you to receive professional cleanings, it will also allow your dentist to monitor any developing conditions you may have.
In addition to the aforementioned basic hygiene practices, there are additional issues to keep an eye open for. These conditions can arise even if you maintain your teeth with immaculate care, which is why it's important to visit your dentist regularly. Some of these conditions are:
- Recurrent decay, or cavities that develop around existing fillings. These become more common over time and the best prevention for this issue is regular flossing and application of fluoride.
- Gum disease, which begins as gingivitis, is a progressive issue that affects your gums. It generally presents as red and tender gums that bleed often. If you notice these symptoms, contact your dentist to develop a treatment plan.
- Sensitivity. It is not unusual for teeth to become more sensitive to hot or cold foods over time. Anti-sensitivity kinds of toothpaste are available that can help counter this problem and your dentist can provide additional support if necessary.
By following these simple steps and maintaining awareness of your dental health, you can head off several problems before they begin. Partnering with your dentist is a surefire way to guarantee a bright and healthy smile. If you are in the Manhattan area, consider visiting our offices. Dr. Lattinelli has specialized in advanced Prosthodontic and Esthetic dentistry for over a decade, he and our associates would be pleased to team up with you to maintain your best smile.